It’s finally spring! There’s nothing better than being able to get out and active with fresh air and warm weather in effect. As summer slowly approaches and we’re aiming to shed a few extra pounds, it’s time to break out of those heavy clothes and slip into something a little more…stretchy. Workout gear is your new best friend! We look to our gear to keep us comfy while we get our sweat on. Your favorite yoga pants or basketball shorts take good care of you, but do you return the favor? Here at Laundry Zone, we have some tips on how to keep your workout garb clean & fresh and make it last all season long.
- To keep your gear as fresh as possible, you want to make sure that you air it out after each gym session. Throwing your dirty, damp clothes into a gym bag is not sanitary. Dark, wet places are breeding ground for bacteria. Hang your clothes up after each workout. You’ll thank yourself later.
- If your clothes are still a little funky or you’re concerned about the risk of bacteria, soak your clothes in a solution of one part vinegar and four parts water to eliminate any bacteria before washing. Let your clothes soak 45 min to an hour before placing in the washing machine.
- Wash on a gentle cycle. A lot of exercise garments are made with elasticized material. It’s important to put your washing machine on a gentle cycle to decrease any wear and tear that your clothes may experience during the agitation and spin cycles. Wash with a gentle cycle to ensure a longer life for your clothes.
- Tumble dry with NO HEAT. This will be helpful for two reasons: keeping any remaining odors from being caked into your clothes and by protecting the elastic material your clothes. Heat breaks down elastic materials causing you clothes to wear out faster.
- Dirty sneakers? Toss them in the washer too! First remove any excess dirt or mud. You’ll want to take out the laces and wash them separately. Wash them by hand or put them in a mesh bag and throw them in the washing machine as well. Add a buffer like towels, blankets, or sweatshirts to minimize wear & tear. Finally add your soap and run it through. When you’re finished, let your sneakers air-dry. They’ll be as good as new!
Follow these tips all season long to keep your workout gear fresh and long-lasting, and feel free to utilize our 24-hour laundry services. We always have someone handy to assist with any of your laundry needs. Stop by, call us at 215-240-1858, or visit us online today!